background

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Something to be proud of

Some of you may not know, but I make tutus for just about any occasion. All different colors and sizes. Some with ribbon, some with pom poms, some with sparkly embellishments. So, all of my IRL friends (that stands for in real life friends, if you don't know) expect a tutu for birthday gifts if they have a little girl.



We were invited to a birthday party for a little friend of A's who was turning 3. She was having a mini mouse themed party. I thought to myself "perfect! I already have a tutu made for her!". I had made O a black tutu with pink ribbon (it was actually a tutu dress at first) for her birthday. O is especially particular about color (if its not pink or purple, it isn't for girls) and has never once even tried it on. So, I was going to pass it onto my friend's daughter. As I was packaging it up on the day of the party, O stopped me and said "you can't give my tutu away!!!! I don't want to wear it, but I don't want anyone else to wear it either." Okay, so she didn't say that last part, but she was very adamant that I not give the beloved tutu away.



I quickly rushed into my sewing/scrapbooking nook in the bonus room, desperately searching for tulle. I found a few spare rolls, but nothing exciting. They were mainly fillers. But, I came across my scraps bag and I got a wonderful idea. An idea that took me about 4 hrs to pull together, but a great idea indeed!




A "scrap" tutu. I absolutely adore it! The ribbon was pulled from my ribbon bag (from hobby lobby!) and painstakingly measured and cut and nail polished (so the ends don't frey) and the tulle counted out and cut as well. What you can't see is a matching hair clipie that I made as well. I'm pretty proud of that thing, too.

I actually thought, for two seconds, about keeping it for my O and just stopping by the store on our way to the party. That's how much I love this tutu. Then I remembered that my friend hands me down all of her kid clothes to store away for the next babe. Hopefully, I'll be getting it back some day.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love it!!

d e v a n said...

Adorable!

April said...

That is so adorable! I love the fact that you used scraps and that the colors just look so fun together. What a lucky little girl to get that one.

Raechel said...

Pretty! We, of course, adore the tutu you made for Rebecca's adoption fundraiser! (And, apparently, so did a lot of other people, since it sold for a pretty penny!)

Nice work!

Chell said...

Tooo CUTE!

Anonymous said...

that is adorable! I love making tutus!!

Amanda said...

I seriously want to buy one for Zachary... have you ever made a tutu for a boy? Us boy mama's need to have pretty things too sometimes, LOL.

Chelsa said...

love it!! great colors!

Erin said...

I wish I had a little girl to dress up in a beautiful tutus. You are talented!!! You should give a blog lesson one day!