Don't you love when you buy a baby product, use it for several years, with multiple children, only to have it recalled for minor issues, you know, like death? Yeah. me, too. I was upset when they did a mass recall of drop-sided cribs. (Not only had I been using it for 5 years, I used it for 3 children!)
Before we found out we were pregnant with Eliza, we debated on whether or not to buy a new crib, or just move Isaac to a toddler bed. He was 10 months at the time. (It would've been a rough go to move him to a big bed.) Since we knew we wanted at least one more baby, we went ahead and got a new crib.
The crib, however, still has some emotional value. I mean, it provided habitat space for 3 of my babies. When they WERE babies. One railing had teeth impressions from A when he was a baby. I can still hear the sound of O twisting one of the looser spindles when she was bored/waking up/falling asleep. All 3 kids peeked out, peered over, when they first learned to pull up.
I digress. So, I've been searching and searching for crafty things to do with it. I wanted it to be semi-functional, but not like laundry room functional. More like, it does a job, but still looks pretty and can be a conversation piece.
I scoured Pinterest and found an idea I liked. But, the person's link/blog gave no real instructions or measurements. Plus, I didn't have the same kind of crib. Ours had decorative spindles. Crap.
I'm not good with power tools (yet!) and E isn't the move envisioned ("really? That's what you're going to do? Won't it look cheesy?") I enlisted my dad's help when they came down to visit in July. He's kind of awesome with that stuff, so he went along with my craziness and helped me saw/glue/screw it all together.
Then came the big job. Filling the holes and sanding the entire thing.
My little sanding helper
Then I threw two coats of white paint. The color was, of course, *just* different enough to notice, thus requiring the 2nd coat. Then I sanded some of the edges to give it a distressed look. (I did this for two reasons. 1. I'm lazy. I can hide my imperfections this way. and 2. I did the same deal to the side table in that room, so it "fits".)
The sewing was not complicated. Basic rectangles with a top stitch and some snaps. (The one I got the idea from had the snaps going the other way. I liked it this way better.) The most complicated that step was the prongy side of the snaps getting bent. I know. Tough stuff.
In her room, with more age-appropriate books.
The reading/nursing corner. I love the way it looks against the blue wall, that matches the quilt, with the fabrics from Eliza's room as the slings.
It even earned a compliment from my husband. Which is big, people. Big.