background

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Significant Sunday

For those of you who don't know my dad: He worked 30 years at GM in a factory. During the last few years he spent there, he was taking online courses. Before he retired, he earned his degree in biblical ministries. After retirement, he and my mom changed churches (after much prayer, and trials- even a lost friendship... which was extremely sad.) my dad became an intern. In January of this year, he started his salary position. Today, they ordained him- certificate and all- as Pastor Fred Brooks.

I'm so proud of him! I can't believe that he preached a sermon today in front of over 800 people. I remember the thought of speaking at our wedding for him was nerve racking enough... he did so well, too!

So, today was a significant Sunday.



----------------------------------------

In sort of related things, I learned a new tid-bit about regifting. Apparently, its okay to regift USED things. My dad recieved 2 communion sets (up until today, I didn't realize they even had communion "sets"). One was very nice, glass cups, gold bread holder. Classy. The other: not so much. The container to transport the juice/wine was stained, the disposable cups a little sticky. I'll let you chuckle a little and wonder along with us: who gives a used disposable communion set as a gift?

Well, at least it wasn't a croched Jesus tissue box holder, which E's dad proudly displayed during his years of pastoring.

2 comments:

jnrosema said...

congrats to dad!

d e v a n said...

haha! Used re-gifts?!
Congrats to your dad!